It still seems to be a useful feature.   I mean, you usually only "read" the
power level when transmitting anyway, at least that is what I do.  So, this is
how it could work that would satisfy me.  Given a K3 power setting, the output
power of the KPA500 is read when transmitting which can be saved in memory on
the K3 and thus available via the programming interface.  If the K3 power
setting is changed, or other changes such as band changes and so on occur, then
this KPA500 power setting can be cleared to zero until the K3 transmits again
using the KPA500 and thus getting a new value.  Not a perfect solution but it
seems to be able to work in most situations.

phil, K7PEH