Ed,

For digital modes, you must provide audio input to the microphone
connector - just use a stereo plug and connect the audio to the tip -
the PTT is on the ring, so you only need 3 plugs, one for the headphone
jack and one for the microphone jack, and the other for the ACC1 (data)
jack.

It might prove useful to construct a variation the interface Skip Teller
KH6TY published in QST for July 2010.  The "variation" is to add wires
from RXD and TXD (plus Signal Ground) to a 3.5mm stereo plug
(effectively adding your own version of the KX3SER cable) I believe it
provides exactly what is needed for the PTT Data mode operation - plug
it into a real serial port or the K3USB cable (or similar USB to serial
cable).

At least, that is how I would do it if I wanted everything to be in one
package.

73,
Don W3FPR