> I wonder if it could be done in the firmware, if it's possible, I'd
> appreciate an entry on the todo list :)

Headphone and Speaker audio share a common source (the same digital to
analog converter).  There is no a separate audio feed for headphone and
speakers (K3 Schematics package, pg 28 and 29).

What Wayne would need to do is mute the speaker (shutdown the speaker
amplifier) during transmit - and only for voice (AM, FM, SSB) modes.
However, if you notice the shutdown behavior of the speaker amplifier
it does not turn off instantly and generates a lot of distortion during
the process.  That ramp down and distortion would be very annoying.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV