I'm not convinced that toroids are inferior to air wound coils. There will
be some core loss but there will be less ohmic loss as well. I'm also not
sure that just getting a tuner rated at the same power level as an amplifier
is always going to be most efficient. If the marketing agency is doing the
tuner rating the rating may be suspect.

There are some tuners that can just about match anything for an antenna. If
it won't melt at a particular power level, is it the best tuner for that
power level? Matching a given load usually means giving the transmitter near
a 50 ohm load. If you have a tuner that does that with no antenna attached
it means the tuner must dissipate all the power.

Manual tuners often have some hints on how to get the best efficiency at a
good match, like try to find a match using maximum or minimum value for
control X. With automatic tuners, we often just let the tuner do its thing
and use the match it finds. Some tuners will have better algorithms than
others in picking the best match. The difference from one tuner to another
can be a lot more than milliwatts. So it can be a good idea to get good
evaluations of available tuners.

73 - Mike WA8BXN