*Jack,

with respect I would disagree with your assessment of the 1.8Khz filter.

>From experience, I had both the 2.1 and 1.8 fitted and by judicious use of
the Hi Cut/Lo Cut adjustment I find the 1.8 far better in practice.

Audio quality is easily made pleasant to the ear without introduction of
any artifacts that are not wanted and provides a better blocking of nearby
strong stations.

Many of us have anywhere from mild to extensive hearing issues which vary
from one person to another. In my case it is Tinitus and therefore it is
essential for me to use a headset and combining the 1.8khz filter with the
Yamaha CM-500 I find the audio pleasant. Just last weekend I participated
in the VK Field Day contest and spent a solid 24 hours on air with little
problem other than sleep deprivation..:-)

A quick check of local K3's here in VK4 reveals many are using the 1.8khz
filter in preference to the 2.1Khz filter for SSB use. The 400 is popular
for CW/Digital use.

If your hearing is somewhere in the normal range I do envy you and perhaps
the 2.1Khz filter is more to your liking.

Regards,
Gary
*
On 27 March 2012 17:58, Jack Berry <jlbe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 2.8, 2.1, 400 - no need to go tighter IMO. Before buying a 1.8, I suggest
> spending time on someone's K3 with a 1.8 if you can. I think you would find
> it fatiguing to listen to for more than a few minutes. Certainly not a rag
> chewing filter.
>
> Jack - WE5ST
>
> On Mar 26, 2012, at 7:48 PM, "Dave \(K7DRT\)" <dtull...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I am still studying the K3 and the various options I use. I still plan
> to purchase one.
> >
> > My previous radios  (IC-756PRO the last one) I used 2.4 khz and 1.8 kHz
> for SSB and 500 hz & 250 hz for CW / Data.
> >
> > The K3 comes with a 2.7 kHz 5-pole filter.
> >
> > My SSB questions are: from your experience, 1)  which is better for a
> narrow filter for SSB; 2.1 khz or 1.8 kHz?
> > 2) Which is more useful, 2.7 kHz 5-pole or 2.8 kHz 8-pole?
> >
> > My Data question: Is the 400 kHz 8-pole adequate or should I purchase an
> additional (250 hz or 200 hz) filter?
> >
> > Thanks & 73 de Dave K7DRT
> >
> > P.S. I did read the “K3 Crystal 'Roofing' Filters” It was very helpful.

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018