 From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Filter questions

On 3/27/2012 11:12 AM, k.i...@comcast.net wrote:
> I am pretty sure the DSP filter is effective only  if it is narrower than the
> roofing filter.

Not at all true.  When reading K6LL's comments, bear in mind that he is
a VERY good operator and engineer.  I value anything he has to say.

I posted yesterday that I had done almost the same thing -- told the K3
that my 1.8 kHz filter was a 2 kHz filter so that it switches in at 2
kHz -- and that I was pretty pleased with the result.

When there are multiple filters in any signal chain their responses
combine (the proper engineering term is "cascade") so that the total
filtering capability is that of both added together. This is most
pronounced when two filters have approximately the same bandwidth and
are set to the same frequency.  The way this works is that if filter #1
is rejecting by 6 dB at a given off-frequency point and filter #2 is
attenuating by 4 dB, the combined rejection will be 10 dB. This is
approximately what K6LL and I are doing.

73, Jim K9YC