Hello, William!  Welcome!

The K3 has both front panel and rear panel headphone and microphone
connectors.  If you prefer to use the back panel connectors (and find the
CM-500's cable long enough), you can plug the two 3.5mm TRS microphone and
headphone audio directly into the K3's back panel, without any adapters.
Some K3 owner's prefer the "clean front panel" look that this provides.

I use the K3's PF1 button programmed to toggle SPKR+PH so that I can turn
the speaker audio on and off with a front panel pushbutton press, so I don't
have to reach around and unplug the headphones to listen to the speaker.

If you prefer a front panel connection (which I do sometimes because it adds
a foot or so of headset cord) and it's easier to change headsets (I do this
sometimes in long contests to change the pressure points), you'll need an
adapter that accepts a 3.5mm TRS plug and connects with the 8-pin "Foster"
microphone connector.  You've found one source (thanks!).  Another is Heil
Sound's AD-1-K adapter which is sold by several amateur dealers. This is
Heil Sound's "Kenwood" adapter.   There is an picture of a representative
Heil adapter at http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003264.  The
different adapters are color coded; the Kenwood / Elecraft version has a red
body.

The Heil adapter includes a hefty 1/4" jack for a footswitch.  I prefer to
bring the footswitch connection to the back panel, that doesn't need to
change when I change headseets.  But I'm starting to use VOX more in
contests as the K3's VOX is better than I've been used to in the past.

73 de Dick, K6KR