I guess I'm one of the unclean. I licensed 3 1/2 years ago primarily
because I wanted to be able to use my vessel's SSB while  making an
occasional offshore passage. Now I'm a die-hard Elecraft fan with a
KX1, a K2, (jonesing for a KX3) and a slowly increasing code speed.
Except for those occasions when I'm offshore and use Pactor3 to post
position reports, and communicate via email with family and friends, I
am almost exclusively CW these days.

I'm a little puzzled by the irritation with the presence of amateur
Pactor3 transmissions in the Ham bands. The usual Pactor RMS
frequencies seem to be well away from the commonly used CW frequencies
(30m maybe an exception), and when operating CW I've never found them
to be a problem. During contests, when the entire band is filled with
CW ops, I can see how an op looking for a clear freq might run into
QRM from sailors using Pactor modems. That's not to excuse those who
fire up their modems without listening first, but normally there seems
to be plenty of room for everybody.

Chip
AE5KA