Pactor 3 is heavily used by the marine operators.  I ran SCS pactor 3
modem with my Icom radios in the past and it was very good.  Regrettably, there
is still no specific cable to link up my K3 and the SCS Pactor 3 modem.

To respect the intellectural right of the software developer, I would not
expect 'free ware' or 'open source' from SCS.  "ham should be willing to share
for free" should not be applied here for pactor 3 which is not quite a ham
product.  Of course, I would not have any objection if SCS eventually let us
have 'open source'.  There are other digital modes for the ham community to
choose and use.  In fact, we can use Pactor 1 which is free but slower.

We share our radio experience and knowledge within the ham community for free.
However, just a statement 'ham should be willing to share for free' is just
over simplied the situation.  Elecraft, Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood do not 'open
source' their DSP.  This is nothing wrong, they need to recover their R&D and
protect their own intellectural right.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

寄件人︰ ussv dharma <ussvdha...@yahoo.com>
收件人︰ "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
傳送日期︰ 2012年04月30日 (週一) 7:20 AM
主題︰ [Elecraft] PACTOR iii

eVERY ASPECT OF HAM radio is not for all hams.....I do not do jf65....However
that said, Pactor III is a godsend for us hams that are cruising on our
boats....here in the south pacific, I can send/rec email, and get all kinds of
weather charts/info to make my sailing safer.  Pactor III may not be for you,
but it is for me

If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!

Susan Meckley, Skipper W7KFI-mm  AFA9SM
                         USSV DHARMA