Last year I was in charge of our GOTA station. I was told,
"We'll have a K2 for you." Well, I'd never used a K2 so I
downloaded the manual from the Elecraft site and printed it
thinking that I would need to continuously refer to it like I
have to with my Yaesu and Icom radios. The UI on the K2 was so
well designed that the printed copy stayed in my bag. It was
user friendly out of the box. And I am far from being an
experienced HF operator (except on PSK).

I think the K3 is in the same category. I have CONFIG:TECH-MD
turned off on my K3 and would certainly recommend that setting
for field day. Having a laptop available to be able to reload
the config and firmware would be prudent.

My K3 will see service in the GOTA tent this year while I'm on
the opposite side of the country trying to make contacts with
the I-706 in my SUV. My club, WVARA, runs a QRP operation and
has experienced GOTA coaches, so my bare-bones K3 should survive
the event quite nicely.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV