Topic by topic:

>Many microprocessor controllers have...built-in serial ports

Correct, and usually I2C, EtherNet, SPI and a host (pun intended) of
communications peripherals. But even the beefy Motorola/FreeScale SCI (similar
to a UART) ports need, in almost any implementation that I am familiar with,
buffer circuitry - I hope no-one is routing the uC directly to a connector.

USB needs a similar buffer circuit, known as a transceiver, which provides
signal-level conversion and isolation. That's it...there is no UART in the
classic sense.

And RS-232 serial ports are rapidly become scarce on microcontollers...just go
their websites and read the datasheets.

>The low power line drivers consume less power, need fewer parts (no crystal),
>can be smaller than the USB UART and are likely to be >more reliable.

Again, no-one really needs free-standing USB protocol units (chips) anymore, so
the "crystal" comment is irrelevant.

Aside from peripheral power supply capability, which is optional, the signal
driver power demans are actually similar, the USB using a low-voltage
differential-mode signal with moderate drive currents, and RS-232 are
high-voltage (5-25V), single-ended signals with low drive currents.

As for reliability...there are a thousand factors to be considered, and I don't
see any data anywhere to back that up.

>If you want USB...

That's where we run into problems. "Adapters" are inherently less stable than
well-implemented on-device peripherals. That's why people such as myself want
native USB capability - conversion is not the same, despite assertions I have
seen in this mail list and in other forums.

I realize there will be a cost delta between RS-232 and USB, and there may not
be a business case on a hobby product. I can live with that on some devices,
such as the XG-3, but I am really beginning to struggle with RS-232 on
transceivers and similar devices. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me
anymore, and that's coming from a person that has done embedded system design
using both RS-232 and USB.

I'm not knocking Elecraft, but I think that, based on today's PC market and the
maturity of the alternatives, the era of RS-232 as the only choice should be
drawing to a close.

Mike Alexander - N8MSA

amsct...@comcast.net