On 5/22/2012 9:30 AM, John Bekema wrote:
> I'd like to know how many birdies (fast moving) you can normally see on your
> P3
> when the bands are quiet, or no antenna is connected.

No fast moving ones.  Very few fixed ones, mine come from the
neighborhood wireless RAP at the top of my tower [we get free Internet
:-)] and I know where they are.

> I made a screenshot of the P3, tuned on 10m, which is at the moment
> pretty dead.

Your screenshot is fairly strange.  Are you sure they're coming from the
K3?  I have an early K3 [#642], and when I calibrated the S-meter and
P3, I had to run the transfer gain in the P3 very high, which produced a
bunch of "birdies" on the P3 that I couldn't tune to [they moved with
the receive cursor].  I think they were being generated in the P3.  I
did the IF level mod [change one resistor in the K3] and everything is
normal now.

Are they there with no antenna?  Does the RF Gain affect them?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org