Wayne,

This may be entirely dependent on signal level vs. AGC threshold.

Prior to MCU 4.5x APF was generally working with signals that had
already activated the AGC thus the peaking occurred above the
threshold/slope.  With the higher threshold, the noise is not held
to a well defined level so the effect of the APF may not be as
pronounced for signals below the threshold.

The same issues are probably involved with the perceived CW decode
issues.  It is no longer sufficient to simply set threshold to auto
and turn on decode.  Now it can require some tweaking of the decode
threshold as well as frequency and bandwidth to get good decoding.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV