Jeff,

The Heil HC4 and HC5 elements have 6 to 10 dB less output than other dynamic
mics - that doesn't make them bad, it is just a fact of life.
The other fact of life is that the K2 does not have a mic gain control
(other than SSBA parameter in the menu), and it just does not have
sufficient reserve gain to make up for the low output of the Heil HC4 and
HC5 mic elements.

You have several options:  1.) A preamp on the mic input; 2.) Increase the
value of R14 on the KSB2 board from its current value of 1k to something in
the range of 5k to 10k (several folks have had success with just this
change); or 3.) Install the KI6WX KSB2 Increased Gain Mod which adds
additional gain to the K2 in the RF section of the KSB2 board rather than
just increasing the audio.

If you will be using other mics with more output on the K2, I suggest using
the preamp solution, but if you will always use the HC4/HC5 elements, then
you may find one of the other two options meet your needs without an
external preamp box (you may be able to squeeze a preamp inside the K2 if
you are careful with construction and mounting).

73,
Don W3FPR