On Monday, 15th August 2005, Ian Maude G0VGS wrote:

I run a Heil HC5 element with my K2 (#4044) and the mods I used are
simple.  I changed out the capacitors on the SSB board to give me the
2.2k mod and changed R14 on the board to 10k.  These 2 mods are all it
took to get my audio sounding great :-)

Morning Ian,

Out of curiousity, what type of mic with the Heil HC5 element do you use - desk, hand, boom? As I told Jeff '0ff list', I have always used the Heil Pro-Set Plus with boom mic and HC4 / HC5 elements without any modifications to the K2/100, nor preamp, and get the full specd. output on all bands without shouting. Power measured in 50 +j0 calibrated load with a scope, cross-checked with a RF voltmeter. SSbA at 3 and SSbC at 2-1 with the HC5. I have not had to use the 'DX' HC4 yet, and most QSOs are with DX on 40m.

I wonder whether a HC5 in a boom mic has something to do with it not being necessary to make modifications to get full power output.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD