I find the KX1 paddle nice to use, but as I said I am *not* picky about the
sort of key I use.

That said, the "feel" of any paddles I use is actually more important than
the feel of a mechanical key, probably because paddles are operated with the
fingers (instead or rolling one's whole hand on a bug or rocking ones entire
forearm with a straight key).

My *only* complaint about the KX1 paddles is the same complaint I have about
every Elecraft rig - there's no keyer mode that lets me make my own dashes.
I would greatly enjoy a keyer mode that spits out dits automatically with
one paddle and then allows me to make dashes with the other paddle manually.
Right now, if I want to go portable with any of the rigs I must either haul
a straight key with me (bugs don't travel well) or live with the keyer.

You are lucky, Phil, to have a key that travels well with you. In that case
I'd take it along.

73, Ron AC7AC