From: WILLIS COOKE <wrco...@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:11:29
To: va3...@gmail.com<va3...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] 100W amp question/comparison/capability. Wait or not

The correct answer depends very much on you.  I have no doubt that the Elecraft
offering will be a better fit with the KX3 than whatever you are planning to
buy.  Since you don't name your candidate and the Elecraft amp is not available
to test, there is no way for anyone to be sure.  There are probably some amps
of good quality available, but more that are really for the CB market and not
something you would be proud to put on the ham bands.  Your financial condition
is also important.  Can you afford a dead end decision?  My approach was to buy
a Kenwood TS-480 which is a very nice offering.  I made this purchase before
the KX3 was announced, so my selection is not a judgement between the two
choices.  Of course, we have no definite information about how long it will be
before the Elecraft amp is available, do how quickly do you feel the need of
100 watts is also important.  Bottom line, it is a decision you will have to
make because only you
 know your personal wants, needs and financial situation well enough.  If you
elect to go with a third party amp, please consider a high end offering.  I
doubt you will be pleased with the low end.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart