Pierre,

I think what you were hearing was low-level transmit phase noise. The
KX3 has very low phase noise, but with the two radios on the same band
and only 40 feet apart, during quiet conditions, the TX phase noise
floor could be above MDS. Roofing filters won't help with this, but
the KX3's new noise-reduction feature would (coming soon).

Of course if you hear each other's VFOs at close proximity even in RX
mode, you can turn on RX ISO (isolation amp). Adds 10-15 mA to current
drain but drops the VFO leakage by some 70 dB+.

73,
Wayne
N6KR