From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Keith Heimbold
Sent: Friday, 27 July 2012 10:53 PM
To: d...@w3fpr.com
Cc: Elecraft Group
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 transmit audio cuts out

Hi Don,

Thanks for the quick recommendation. I will give that a try this morning.

I did a complete switch out of the headset, PTT switch and adapter and
experienced the same cutout. I did consider this being an RFI issue. I was
doing a bit more ragchewing then usual last night.

I will try your recommendations and report back.

Thanks,

Keith
AG6AZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Jul 27, 2012, at 5:48 AM, "Don Wilhelm" <w3...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> Kieth,
>
> In cases like that, the first things to check are the external cables - in
your particular case, the PTT.
> If you are using the mic jack PTT, try the one on the back panel - if that
cures the problem check your cables again.

> The other possibility is that something happened in your antenna system
and you are experiencing RF feedback.  Run the K3 barefoot into a dummy load
- if the condition persists into a dummy load, then you can conclude that
the K3 might be to blame.

> 73,
> Don W3FPR
> On 7/27/2012 8:36 AM, Keith Heimbold wrote:
>> While operating last night on 20m on my K3 serial 1391, I had an issue
with my transmit audio cutting out during PTT transmit. Also power output
simultaneously dropped out completely in mid sentence. I could see this both
on the power meter and hear it on monitor.

>> I currently use a Heil proset 4 and a heil hand switch with that rig. I
then decided to switched headsets and switch to my heil proset 5 and my foot
switch which is on my other K3 to determine if it was an issue with headset
/ PTT switch combination.  Upon transmitting it continued to cut out the
audio and power. I was alerted by the ham I was communicating with that I
was having an issue with my audio.  This issue continued to persist so I
decided to shutdown the system.

>> My configuration last night also consisted of this K3 unit being
connected to my Yaesu Quadra amplifier to my SteppIR three element Yagi. I
was operating at about 500W.

>> This is the first time I have had any issue with this K3 unit though I do
experience some unusual receive issues with spurious and higher noise levels
with this unit versus my other K3 and my KX3.

>> Turns out that I am coincidentally sending up my other K3 1526 to
Elecraft today for several mods and some additional features to be added. I
would like to get the older 1391 unit working before sending 1526 up north.