As usual, Joe is RIGHT ON THE MONEY! If I had a dime for every EMEe'r who was
had
troubles created by trying to use a Signalink, I would be sending this email
from the
beach in the Carib!  I NEVER recommend them to anyone who is serious about
running
any kind of power on digital modes because of the cheap and dirty way they try
claim that they have PTT control, when all they really have is VOX.   What I
was
talking about, and what most EME'ers and serious VHF'ers require, is an ADVANCE
PTT
command (which is very thoughtfully provided by WSJT programs) so that
everything can
be switched and settled into place BEFORE any signals are generated by the
transmitter.    If all you do is HF QRP, then the Signalink is probably all you
will
ever need.  If you ever go QRO, it will pay you to do it right the first time
and get
a fully capable interface!   GL and VY 73, Lance

On 7/28/2012 12:10 AM, k3...@comcast.net wrote:
> Joe,
> The SignaLink uses the radio's PTT on the mic connector to switch from rx to
> tx. That is all that is really required. However, it does have a built in
> sound card that does work better than the one in my laptop. All power is
> taken from the USB connection to the computer. It's a complete, easy to set
> up and use package. With the additional sound card, I can do other things.
> So, I'd say your characterization is a bit off.
>
> 73,
> Barry
> K3NDM

Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: w...@hotmail.com
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!