Matt,

If I understand you correctly, the answer is no, you would cut off the
old crimp pins and solder the wires to the new ones.  There is a diagram
in the Final Assembly section of the manual.
If (and only if) you have the proper crimping tool, you may crimp the
leads instead of soldering, but very few have that tool.

The leads must be short - there is not much extra space inside the KX1.-
only about 1 1/2 inches should be free.  When you remove the back to
change the batteries, you would normally just remove the connector from
the KX1 board.

Many builders do not insert the crimp pins into the housing correctly.

There are small tabs that must lock into the rectangular holes in the
back of the housing.  You must slide the crimp pins in with some
pressure toward that side of the housing - there are slots on the inside
of the housing where the "flanges" of the crimp pin slide.

73,
Don W3FPR