Roy,

On the missing letters, all I can think of is perhaps it is
power-hunting -starting low and eventually going higher (the receiving
station may not hear the weaker initial signal)
The way to prevent power hunting is to ignore the advice commonly given
"set the power level to maximum and adjust the audio to control the
desired power output" - that does NOT work for the K2, the K3 or the
KX3.  Adjust the audio level on the K3 to produce 4 bars solid with the
5th bar solid on the K3 ALC display.  Use the power knob to set the
desired power level.

On the second item, refresh your information on how the K3 does data
modes vs. frequency display.  Data A will show you the carrier
frequency, and the frequency on the waterfall is actually that carrier
frequency plus (minus for LSB) the audio pitch sent by your software
application - even though many applications show the "actual" frequency
of the signal, that is only because of the calculations done by that
software.

Now move on to AFSK - the frequency displayed by the K3 depends on the
shift setting in the K3 menu - the frequency displayed will be the mark
frequency (consistent with MMTTY, but different than clicking on an RTTY
signal on the waterfall in DATA A submode.

PSK D will show you the actual frequency of the PSK31 signal (similar to
the carrier plus [minus] audio frequency seen in DATA A, and FSK D will
show you the actual mark frequency.
That is explained (in different words) in the K3 manual.

Have great fun with data modes, they are great once you get things set
up right and become familiar with whatever turns out to be your favorite
software applications.

73,
Don W3FPR