Welcome back! I remember my HW-16 fondly, and I came back to the hobby after a
multi-year hiatus as well. I also remember that CW test at the FCC office as a
teenager.

I would only suggest that you take your time and really savor the build.  There
are a number of accessories available, but you can order them as you find the
need.  Try your new radio, engage with the community and get opinions. There
are a lot of friendly and extremely knowledgeable folks on the Elecraft
reflector.

I started my Elecraft experience with a couple of mini-modules to get my
soldering skills honed again, then I built a KX1. Then a K2, then a K3, then...
I ended up selling off my other gear and now use most of the Elecraft product
line.  Now I work for them. I sold my first K2 and my second K2 kit is waiting
for when I find a few hours free for a few days in a row.

73 de Dick, K6KR