From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bill W4ZV
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:21 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3] Phase Noise / CW Key Clicks

Matt Zilmer wrote

> Phase noise and key clicks are the enemy.  I respectfully suggest that
> Wayne emphasize (as well) that designing a transceiver to
> intentionally not produce either of these is a worthy objective more
> on a moral plane than an operating advantage.  Tactically, having
> clicks and wideband noise could be put to advantage against other FD
> groups.

Regarding your last sentence, to my knowledge, Elecraft is the ONLY
manufacturer who does not allow adjustment of CW Rise/Fall time (Ten-Tec, Yaesu
and possibly others do).  Adjusting this time to less than ~5ms can cause
clicks which, as you said above, can be useful in contests to keep others away
from your run frequency.

Kudos to Wayne for not allowing the user to adjust this parameter and therefore
keeping our K3s cleaner than other rigs.

73,  Bill  W4ZV