Jim,

"mountains around DC" ???
I used to live in Barnsville, MD overlooking Sugarloaf Mountain, and
that is about as close to "mountains around DC"  as it gets.  I cannot
recall the height of Sugarloaf Mountain, but it was not that great, and
it was private property when I was there in the 1980s - but the owners
provided a path to the summit for visitors.

It was often referred to as a "bump out of place".  One must go quite a
ways Northwestward from DC to encounter mountains.   Western Maryland
yes, Southern Pennsylvania, yes, but much of Maryland is the eastern
coastal. plains was flat and without "bumps"- yes those Eastern coastal
plains do turn quickly into mountains, so your choice of position is a
big factor in your assessment of vertical altitude.

If one wants mountains when in Maryland, it is advised to head for
Western Virginia and the Shenandoah Mountain range.  Southwest of
Maryland is the great Shenandoah National Park where My family
vacationed for many years.  My children grew up on the instructions from
the park rangers at Big Meadows.

73,
Don W3FPR