> I figured I could include that entire range within the FM filter
> bandwidth (which I still can do), AND also hear all 10 KHz of those
> signals (which I've learned I cannot do).

Your ears are much better than mine if you can actually copy a full
10 KHz wide audio pile-up.  I have enough trouble keeping up with
4 KHz or so (200 Hz to 4.2 KHz) if I open everything up in SSB mode.
Note the K3 limits HI in CW to "Pitch + 1400 Hz" thus if one likes
a 500 Hz tone, the highest frequency passed in CW is 1900 Hz.  The
*widest* bandwidth possible in CW is by using an 800 Hz sidetone
which results in 2.2 KHz ... whether the "roofing filter" is 2.7,
2.8, 6 or 13 KHz wide.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV