From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of John Ragle
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 6:13 AM
To: Richard Fjeld; elecraft
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Question please

Hi, Richard...

     I started my most recent cycle of ham activity with an early XP
machine...for what it's worth, XP Pro is an outstanding OS...but I seem to
allow myself to be dragged along with OS development, and went through VISTA
and into WIN 7. I have 3 machines currently in use, 2 of which run WIN 7
Home Premium, and 1 that runs WIN 7 Ultimate. The WIN 7 machines are all 32
bit machines. In the household, we also have a WIN 7 Home Premium that is a
64 bit machine. It happens that these machines get swapped around from time
to time, along with an old Lenovo Thinkpad, still running VISTA.

     Currently, my ham radio gear is limping (quite literally!) along on the
WIN 7 Ultimate 32-bit machine, which no longer boots properly.
Fortunately, when it has gathered itself together, it runs fine. We leave it
running (after much travail trying to get it "fixed"). It has, apparently,
several serious problems.

     Thus the nexus I mentioned in my earlier post...I had to confront the
reality of replacing the DELL XPS-420, and thus faced a number of
choices...what OS?, what style MoBo?, what style chassis, and particularly
how many and what kind of expansion slots the replacement was to have.

     Our household has been using DELL machines for a long time, and with
pretty good success. I recently went outside this boundary and bought an
ACER laptop,  64-bit machine, which did not work properly from the get-go,
and which I exchanged for a DELL laptop of similar design.
The salient point is that when one commits to a laptop, one more or less
gives up any possibility of expansion slots, etc. and so this machine will
never see ham radio use.

     This brings this long-winded discussion back to the 32-bit WIN 7
Ultimate machine, which has a number of PCI and PCIe slots, several of which
I use for the radios. I won't bother you with the details, since your laptop
is doubtless, like most, non-expandable. The machine is a dual-core, 3 GHz
machine, and it has never faltered in running the radios. Normally when
running the K3/P3, I run a video frame-grabber to expand the tiny P3
screen_into a __window_. I also have used a PMSDR with a Quartet
dual-channel 192-kHz A/D sound card.

     So my conclusion would be that using the 32 bit version of WIN 7 does
not impose any  obvious restrictions. It is getting hard to find expandable
machines that are vended with a 32-bit OS, and so I was pleasantly surprised
to find that digging around in DELL's shambles of a web site found one. It
is due to arrive today, so I can finally bury the
XPS-420 and give it a try. If I have any problem, I will let you know.

     In the meantime, good luck and enjoy our magnificent hobby. BTW I
condemn in strongest terms the prevailing idea that the consumer does not
need a set of OS disks...but many vendors will sell them to you for a buck
or two.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

--
Sent from my lovely old Dell XPS 420