I recently upgraded to a Windows 7-64 bit HP machine due to the demise
of my Windows XP Pro laptop.  The biggest problem I had was going from a
physical RS232 serial port on the laptop to a USB to RS232 converter.  I
tried several failures before I hit on a solution that worked.  It is a
USB/RS232 converter with an FTDI chipset and current drivers for it in
Windwos 7-64 bit.  Try as I might I couldn't make a converter with the
Prolific chipset work. Note that Elecraft have gone to a KUSB with the
FTDI chipset.  You didn't give many details of your friend's problems
but I'd bet the above is part of it.

Brian, K0DTJ

Hope this helps