Is there a better NiZn implementation out now? I was very disappointed with
their charge retention and ultimate life when I tried them about two years
ago, and I gave up on them. In any event, the KX3 charger is unlikely to
charge them properly like you suggest.

Definitely go for Sanyo Eneloop cells  for the internal battery pack, they
will last much longer than typical Nimh cells. I used to have a load of
Energizer Nimh 2500 mAh cells that all developed high internal resistance
and very high self-discharge rates over time despite having had only tens
of cycles on them and careful charging. The Eneloops have been very stable.

Normally when portable I use a 4S LiFePO4 pack with my KX1 and now KX3.
These will deliver close to 14V when fully charged, and still give 12V when
near the end. When they were available, I was able to make 4S packs by
buying DeWalt battery packs on clearance that contained 18650 (1100 mAh)
LiFePO4 cells. Over the past three years these packs have been great, but I
think the DeWalt supply has dried up. You may be able to find genuine A123
cells from other vendors, but any other brand and anything from China will
be hit or miss. I'm batting about 50% on attempts to get good LiFePO4
battery packs from China. At least half have come to me with one or more
weak cells which bring down the whole pack capacity.

Hobbyking sells "Zippy" brand LiFePO4 packs which have been hit or miss.
They also claim to sell genuine A123 26650 (2300 mAh) cells with solder
tabs for $13 each plus shipping- I have an order in for some of those and
am hopeful they are what they say! This will let me make Buddipole
equivalent packs for about 60% of what they charge.

Safest bet to avoid a lot of aggravation is to use the Eneloops internally
in your KX3, and buy the Buddipole 4S1P pack made with A123 brand cells for
use as an external battery when you want more than 5 watts portable. It is
expensive, but properly cared for should last a long time and give very
good service.