Lance,

The KXBC3 will not charge just any kind of battery - it must be of the
NiMH chemistry if you are to be successful.
.
There are many battery chemistry types out there - in the AA size, the
most common rechargable is the NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) is one of the
more common, and that is the type that the KXBC3 was designed to charge.

Yes, there are more exotic batteries, but the one advantage of NiMH that
does not exist with many of the others is that should the rechargeables
be depleted and you need to operate, go to the nearest drug, grocery,
office supply, Walmart, K-Mart, etc and you can buy alkaline AA
batteries that will keep you going - other specialized battery types may
last longer or give higher voltages, but when they are depleted, you
cannot substitute commonly available AA batteries.

73,
Don W3FPR