I ran into something similar when I first fired up my KX3. I realized I was
listening to the wrong side of the zero beat, where I could just barely
hear the signal - then tuned up a bit and realized it was the same signal
but this time much stronger. (I haven't run into this since.)

--Andrew, NV1B
..