On 11/9/2012 9:40 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Sorry,
>
> I gave mis-information because of my cursory view of the question.
>
> For the K2, you must use the special cable that is shown in the KIO2
> manual.  That cable must connect RXD and TXD and *no* other RS-232
> signals to the KIO2 connector.
>
> Once you have constructed the KIO2 cable, you can connect a standard
> serial cable to the "computer end" - there are no wires for other than
> the TXD and RXD signals, so no danger.
>
> Bottom line, do not connect any USB to serial adapter directly to the
> KIO2 or the KPA100 -- the special cable must be used at the KIO2 end.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

     I'll be going down that road in a couple of weeks.  Just to be
crystal clear so I don't blow something,  I have a 4-port PCI serial add
on card in my PC.  4 extra DB-9 serial ports.  Is all I need is a male
to female "straight through" DB9 serial cable to connect one of these
ports to the K3/100?  (i.e. no cross over - null modem), just a computer
store standard serial cable with RX/TX and GRD (pins 2,3 and 7)?

     This for computer control.  No USB involved in my case, so it seems
really simple.  However . . . I don't want to let the smoke leak out of
anything.

73, Paul VE1DX