Paul,

In CW mode, the "+" icon indicates that QRQ mode is active. You can toggle it on or off via the Config menu option "CW QRQ"

In SSB mode, the "+" icon indicates that ESSB is enabled. You can toggle it on and off via the Config menu option "TX ESSB". Tap '1' to turn it on and off.

It may have other meaning in other contexts or modes, but these are the only two of which I am aware.

73, Dale
WA8SRA