I have the base K2, with battery pack and low-power tuner in one box, and the 100-watt amp and high-power tuner in another. Very versatile, and the battery powered K2 is ready to go on a moment's notice for fun or emergency use. I also have the SSB, Noise blanker, and 160 meter options in the K2. Consider those if you don't already have them. I did put a dedicated KIO2 interface module in the K2, so I did not have to depend on the amplifier for that functionality.

I have the KDSP2 DSP noise reducer. It works well as an automatic notch filter, but only so-so for noise reduction. Not sure if I would do that again. The KAF-2 audio filter can be a big help for the CW operator. although careful choice and adjustment of the base K2 filters can provide amazing results.

There are lots of places to find tutorials on how to build the rig as "separates". It is easy. You will also need the EC-2 case kit and another wire bail "foot". I chose to replace the K2 bail with the 1.5" version, I like that much better than the taller version that comes with the rig. I decided to leave the speaker in the base K2. Read the manuals carefully before beginning construction of the amp in the EC-2 case so you don't do unnecessary work.

If your K2 does not have the latest upgrades, I would strongly suggest that you purchase and install them before building the amp.

- Jim, KL7CC

.