The primary reason to put the amp in an EC2 enclosure is to preserve
portability of the K2/10. Since you already have a K1 and plan to get a
KX3, it would seem that your field operation bases are covered. Keep it
simple and put the amp inside the transceiver case to use as a base station
radio. Bonus: it's still pretty portable so long as you will have power
available.

/Rick

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM, sidney sudberg <sid...@alkemist.com> wrote:

> I have recently bought a previously owned K2/10 & am thinking of upgrading
> it to the 100 watt version.  My question is:
>

> Is there any reason or advantage to upgrade with the amplifier & radio in
> one unit or in the EC2 with the KAT100-2?  I suppose it is a matter of how
> it will be used but I guess I am looking for the experience of how others
> use either or both configurations & why.
>

> Being somewhat of a ‘Rookie’ ham, I frequently make hasty decisions based
> on my lack of experience, so I am seeking the advice from the collective
> experience of this distinguished group.  J I am not solely qrp/cw but my
> goal is to be operating mostly qrp/cw but I will also be getting a KX3
> within the year & I also currently own a K1.
>

> I thought the K2 would be my home station for now & would like to have the
> power available if I wanted or needed it.
>

> Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
>

> 73,
>
> * *
>
> * *
>
> *Sidney Sudberg*