> K1 VFO PROBLEM: I’m building a K1, and have reached the mid-point on
> populating the RF board, at the Alignment and Test, Part I (page 36).  All
> looks well until I get to VFO Range Test on p. 38, and I get E42 (VFO not
> functioning).  The previous resistance and voltage checks were all fine.

That's this step:

   "Tap MENU and locate CAL. To enable the operating
    frequency calibration display (OPF), hold EDIT. The 100-Hz digit
    should be flashing. (If you see E42, the VFO is not functioning.)"

FWIW, the VFO RF-Q8 can be functioning perfectly, yet the E42 message will
be generated if things are amiss at VFO BUFFER RF-Q9 or front panel board
COUNTER AMP FP-Q1.  The latter is not too likely from what you've described,
but it's still something to keep in mind as you chase down the cause for
E42.

Mike / KK5F