From: Don Wilhelm [mailto:w3...@embarqmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 5:26 PM
To: K5HM
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 PSK no output

Ron,

I suspect you set the powe5r to maximum and are attempting to control
the RF output with the audio level.  That is typical advice given on the
internet and other data mode instructions.  That advice is not for the
K3 - it will not work right.

With the K3, ignore that common advice for other transceivers which tell
you to set the transceiver to full drive and adjust the RF level by
changing the audio level.

The way the K3 controls power is different than most rigs - it measures
the actual power output and then adjusts the RF drive to produce the
power requested by the power knob.

So with the K3, adjust the audio for 4 ALC bars with the 5th bar
flickering, and use the power knob to set your desired power output.

Failure to do it that way will result in "power hunting" by the K3 and
you will not have consistent power output.

73,
Don W3FPR