Roger,
Same thing happened here.   I also have an 80 meter inverted V and sat there
it seemed like eternity last nite waiting while he was working europe.  Gave up
and went to bed
and got up this morning at 5:30 PST and worked him first call  He was so strong
that I turned the
RF gain way down on my K3 and it was sweet arm chair copy.  Banging in over 9
here.
Didnt need the amp, just 100 watts with the K3.   My noise level has been
pretty high
on 80 meters lately from our power lines but the superb NB NR on the K3 knocks
it down to
below the band noise level,  Love my K3 !!

73
Bob
K6UJ