I do not have equipment to accurately measure IMD of my combo of KX3 and HLA 300 Plus. Having said that I drive HLA 300 with 5 w from KX3. It gives me 200 + watt on all the bands. Listening to the radiated signal using TS590 and different antenna reveals that the occupied bandwidth is within the same boundaries which I have determined by transmitting 100 W from my K3. Therefore I assumed that IMD of the above mentioned combo is no worth then 30db.

73, Igor UA9CDC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dyarnes" <w7...@cox.net>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 10:40 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] KX3 Amp

Hi All,

To echo Jim Brown's cautionary statement about IMD with the RM Italy HLA series amps, there is some good info on Tom Rausch's (W8JI) website concerning the HLA-150. That amp will run up to 150 watts or so, but according to some testing that Rausch did, if you go much over 100 watts, the IMD gets pretty marginal! Presumably the HLA-300 have some similar optimal point below it's maximum capability. Apparently this is not at all uncommon, particularly with 12 V. amps. Even the K3 loses some of it's IMD quality if you go over 100 watts, which you can do somewhat.

Dave W7AQK