Hi,

I have a K2/100 on my bench that is behaving strangely and I’d like some
advice.  This has the SSB board and Z10000 buffer amp and 2.04P firmware.

That radio hasn’t been used for some time and I am told it was stored in an
attic space so will have been subject to temperature swings. Initial
symptoms were that the radio was deaf and filters misaligned.

Further investigation with spectrogram showed that all the CW filters were
centred at 900Hz and about 300Hz wide so I started a retune as per N0SS.
All re-tuned just fine and sensitivity returned. The SSB filters except OP1
were also misaligned but I haven’t touched them yet. As a CW op I was happy
to try the radio on the air.

But.....

When I turn the radio off and on again I find that my filter settings are
sometimes lost and the filters return to 900Hz centre and 300Hz wide.
Entering the cal fil routine can restore them without me readjusting the
DAC value.

Furthermore, when I am in user mode (i.e. not cal fil) and tap xfil to
scroll through the filters sequentially, every so often one filter ends up
back to the 900Hz center and 300Hz wide. This can be any of the four
defined filters. If I continue to scroll through the filter set I can
return to the erroneous filter to find that it is back where I wanted it to
be i.e. centered at 600Hz . This happens at random as far as I can tell i.e
any (or no) filter can misbehave in a cycle.

As an aside, when altering the BFO values to tune the filters I randomly l
got an “INFO 230” message even though the freq counter probe was in place.
This doesn't seem to be a loose connection as a repeat tune without
touching anything works just fine. I also have a random sidetone issue
which may be related. The sidetone disappears every so often and can be
brought back to life by changing the pitch slightly. If I increment ST P up
by 1 unit the sidetone reappears instantly. I can then return to my usual
level of 600Hz and it works again for a while.

The remarkable G3TJP has helped me enormously with all things Elecraft in
the past, but I feel bad about bothering him with another issue. Any
thoughts from the team here what to look at next? Replace the firmware chip?

73

Steve, M0BPQ