From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 8:42 AM
To: STEPHEN BUNTING
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K2] Forgetful K2 filters

Steve,

That is truly erratic behavior.  It sounds like either the EEPROM is losing
its data, or is having an addressing problem (the menu settings are stored
in EEPROM).

So in this particular case, I recommend you record the menu setting that you
care about and do a Master Reset (hold the 4, 5, and 6 buttons in when
powering on).
That should set the EEPROM contents back to the default settings.

If the settings do not stay after that, the next thing I would try is to
reflow the soldering on Control Board U6, U7 and U8 - particularly the
/EECS, SDO, and SCK signal lines.

After that, if it is still failing, I would first replace U7 and then U6 if
necessary.

These are just guesses as to the possible cause, and I present the steps in
the order I would try.  The order I choose is based on steps with increasing
difficulty and cost.  You may choose any other order.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 4/17/2013 7:59 AM, STEPHEN BUNTING wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a K2/100 on my bench that is behaving strangely and I'd like
> some advice.  This has the SSB board and Z10000 buffer amp and 2.04P
firmware.

> That radio hasn't been used for some time and I am told it was stored
> in an attic space so will have been subject to temperature swings.
> Initial symptoms were that the radio was deaf and filters misaligned.
>
> Further investigation with spectrogram showed that all the CW filters
> were centred at 900Hz and about 300Hz wide so I started a retune as per
N0SS.