Perhaps one of the modern Android or Iphones has an application that will run psk or other digital modes: that would bring the weight down. Perhaps do the logging as well. Be good for emergency use, too.

David
G3UNA

Intriguing idea. In my case it will take the form of a lightweight psk-31 station. Our local club does FD every year so I may just use one of their antennas or rig a 20m dipole (probably a sloper). I will break the 4# barrier by bringing my old P90 IBM thinkpad that has a psk-31 program and this will force me to make up a soundcard I/F for the KX3. I have a pile of 12v 4AH gelcells which will suffice for power. Our club call is AL7LE but there is some talk of using a better callsign of one of the members (might be KL7RA).