I agree with Phil - propagation has not been helpful lately. The second problem we have had is the loss of N0SS in the middle of the country. Tom would call for check ins after I had run through a few stronger stations. Then, if possible, he would pass net control to the East Coast. My reach on twenty meters, like Phil's, starts in Wyoming and thence to Michigan. Colorado is on again off again as is Texas. However, ECN is very close to WAS lacking only Delaware. Check ins from as far as Hungary, South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia are in the log. Japan and Russia are also in there. Even though we are somewhere in the middle of this solar cycle propagation does not mirror this.

Once again: I would dearly love to have an alternate net control in the Midwest and one on the East Coast. I, too, need a look back at my area on the West Coast to glean all the check ins from those areas too close to me. I have worked a few local stations via ground wave. But when you don't have a straight shot at me the signal must bounce off the not always reliable ionosphere. I can get folks south and east of San Francisco but only when the propagation is correct. I can also work into Texas on both twenty and forty meters. Florida occasionally with Georgia slightly more often. Since I can only work those I hear I am stuck with certain patterns of contacts reflected in my years of reports.

We really miss Tom Hammond, N0SS. I know no one can replace him but I am sure he would like someone to try. The skill level required is not very high. There is a speed limit on the net control, set by Tom (of course), of 21 wpm. Folks reply at their comfortable speed and I try to adjust. I am sure there is someone in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, or Louisiana who could help. You will get the very same pay as Tom; once you prove yourself of course :) And there will be a lot of very happy people who are able to check in with their Elecraft (or other) rigs. While we do exchange weather reports we try to give accurate signal reports with readings of strength, variability, and noise level. If you want to talk about camping, birding, hiking, canoeing, etc. please do so. Just because they call me net control does not mean I have control over much of anything :) The position is very casual so if you feel like trying please do. If you want to start regional nets please do that too. The main thing is to enjoy yourselves.

73,
    Kevin.  KD5ONS  Net Control Operator 5th Class

-