From: David Woolley [mailto:for...@david-woolley.me.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 17:06
To: iain macdonnell - N6ML
Cc: Arno Dienhart; Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] How to reply to specific post on the reflector?

Actually, he isn't using an email program at all.  He seems to be reading it
on a third party web archive.  Such archives are either intended to be
read-only (after all, they are only there to attract you to the
advertising), or there will be a method of replying specific to the archive.
They are not the reflector, but something that captures the output of the
reflector.

Replying properly to anything on such an archive, using an email program is
actually technically rather difficult, as most modern email programs do not
allow you to manually set the In-Reply-To header, which is needed for the
threading, shown in the image, to work properly.  The screen shot also
doesn't show the Message-ID header, whose value you would have to copy into
the In-Reply-To header.  The only hope would be if the archive itself
provides an email reply option, where they actually originate the email,
which is what I believe another third party archive, Nabble, does.  You
would have to ask the people running the current archive whether they
provide that service.

Another reply also seems to be confusing an archive with the actual
reflector.  The reflector is just a bit of software that re-broadcasts the
email to everyone on the list.

Incidentally, JPG is not a good format for most screen shots.  PNG is a much
better choice.

--
David Woolley
Registered owner of K2 06123

--
David Woolley
RFC1855 says there should be an address here, but, in a world of spam, that