On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Richard Fjeld <rpfj...@embarqmail.com>wrote:

> ....repeater activity is almost dead...

==============
There are about 30 repeaters audible from my QTH, some on 2M and some on
440. My 2M/440 radio is turned on and scanning them much of the time. Some
days I hear no conversations. There are some weekly nets, and a sometimes a
few commute-time chats. But VHF/UHF activity here in St. Louis County seems
to be a fraction of what it was 40 years ago, even though I think there may
be more repeaters today.

Some of the repeaters are rigged to hook into the global linking system so
that somebody here can work somebody, for example, in Australia via local
repeaters. I've heard that used only a couple of times.

Our DX club has a calling frequency that in days past was frequently
occupied with tip-offs, DX chat, and general ragchewing, but even that has
fizzled down to almost nothing.

Tony KT0NY