Jim- a few thoughts on this.

1. You only stated you have power and IF into the P3. You did not mention
whether or not you have the RS232 cable connected between the K3 and the P3.
This is essential for getting the freq info from the K3.

2. In the P3 menu XCVR SEL: is it set to K3?

3. Make sure the K3 RS232 speed is set to 38400 baud.

GL,
Bruce
N1RX