Fine, PLBs are for personal maritime emergencies and EPIRBs are for sinking
ships. Either one will get a rescue.

The story about the wildfire is here:

http://wunderwood.org/most_casual_observer/2009/08/fighting_a_wildfire_with_milk.html

In the Sierras in August, any wildfire is serious, even a single-tree fire like
we fought.

I'm fine with taking some time to get an antenna up. I'm talking about what you
decide to put in your pack at the trailhead.

Since you didn't read the blog post, I'll repeat it. My preference is to avoid
rescue situations. Reliable communications can help me do that. Once you are in
a rescue situation, activate the beacon and pray.

wunder
K6WRU

Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org