http://k4mtx.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/kx3-fldigi-setup/

I followed this minus using the headphone jack
I use the i/q and the mic jack and the usb control cable
Again I suggest getting the cable set from elecraft!

I do psk31 all day with it. And yes you have you adjust the mic and speaker gain on the pc for best acl. no need for a signal link or other such device. and its imho much cleaner setup.

if you need help drop a email and I will help you get going and you will see its the best setup I have done yet.

I also suggest a few extra pieces of software lp_bridge  and nap3.

also if you can get a usb sound card .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-External-7-1-Channel-3D-Virtual-Audio-Sound-Card-Adapter-PC-A-229-/400460458738?pt=US_Sound_Card_External&hash=item5d3d4daaf2

this is the external card I use.

just remember the cables go backwards soundcard speaker to mic in radio and i/q out to mic in sound card.
color coding the ends with color tape make for a faster setup.