So very true. Three or four years ago a midwest ham called me during the NAQP SSB contest with an almost unreadable S9+10 signal. I managed to decipher enough of his callsign to return to him, and I told him he needed to back off his mic gain. He did and it helped, and by the time I got him to where he was perfectly readable and not distorting any worse than anyone else he was down to about S8. I told him he should leave it there, but I'll bet $100 he didn't.

It's a wonder some manufacturer hasn't put out a rig with knobs that go up to 11.

73,
Dave   AB7E