On 7/23/2013 12:15 PM, Don Putnick wrote:
It didn't compete with the <0.3% distortion of the Icom 756 Pro III.

Single numbers like this are quite inadequate to describe distortion. There are MANY kinds, and many manifestations. THD is a particularly poor metric for non-linearity, because some orders of harmonics are FAR more audible (and unpleasant) than others, and also because it does not include intermodulation. For example, there's a popular audio signal processing tool that includes a knob called "warmth." It ADDS 2nd harmonic distortion. In general, higher order harmonics are audible are MUCH lower levels because they are relatively un-musical. Digital distortions are also quite audible,and at relatively low levels, again because they are not naturally part of speech or music.

I'm quite satisfied with the audio quality of the K3 once those early issues were corrected. I've got a nice stereo rig to listen to music, most of which is acoustic jazz. I completely agree with Wayne's design priorities.

73, Jim K9YC